At the Mobile World Congress, Barcelona during February this year, Intel Corporation, the global leader in Microprocessor technology showcased its Smartphone reference design featuring the Intel Atom Processor Z2460 with Hyper-Threading Technology and support for HSPA+ and the Intel XMM 6260 Platform.
During April this year, Intel Corporation and Lava International, an Indian mobile handset vendor has launched in India XOLO, a Smartphone based upon Intel’s design.
Lenovo and Orange have also launched Smartphones based upon Intel’s design recently.
We’ll have a look at what the phone has to offer to you in terms of its features, specifications, its Pros and Cons.
The Lava XOLO Smartphone is powered by a fast 1.6GHz Intel Atom Processor Z2460 (Medfield platform). The Atom Processor Z2460 supports Intel’s Hyper-Threading Technology for doing multiple tasks at one time and supports HSPA+ Technology for High Speed Communication on Mobile Networks.
Intel Atom Processors offer High Speed Processing with Low Power Consumption. Intel Atom Processors are popular in entry level Desktop PCs, Netbooks and have also made headway into entry level Small Business Servers. Intel Atom Processors offer great value and performance while conserving Power. Benefits to you… high performance, fast web browsing, responsive apps and effortless multi-tasking. You also get more Talk/ Standby/ Browsing time without having to recharge your phone’s battery frequently.
It uses Intel’s XMM6260 Slim Modem Platform, a highly integrated network platform requiring very little power. The platform features an integrated power management unit, supports quad-band EDGE and multi-band HSPA+ for global connectivity. Benefits to you…high performance and access to high speed networks without changing/ upgrading your smartphone in the nearest future. Since the platform itself uses very little power, you also get more Talk/ Standby/ Browsing time without having to recharge your phone’s battery frequently.
Lava XOLO X900 Smartphone – Pros
- Attractive Appearance (its Design is likeable by both Men and Women).
- High Speed Intel Atom Processor @ 1.6 GHz.
- Support for quad-band EDGE and multi-band HSPA+ for Global Connectivity to High Speed Mobile Networks.
- Large 4.03” LCD Display with 16 Million Colors.
- 8MP Rear HD Camera with LED Flash – shoots up to 15 Frames/Second in Burst Mode.
- 1.3MP Front Camera for Video Calling/ Video Chat.
- Extensive Camera Settings like White Balance, Flash, Exposures, Focus, ISO, Frame Rate, Scene Mode, Color Effects, etc. for convenient Amateur and Advanced Photography.
- Touchscreen with Scratch Resistant Corning Gorilla Glass.
- Dual Active Noise Cancellation Microphones for Clear Conversations in Noisy Environments like Railway Stations, Factories, Outdoors, etc.
- “Swype” Keyboard for typing convenience.
- Support for NFC (Near Field Communications).
- Micro HDMI Port for connectivity to TVs and Projectors equipped with HDMI Port. (The Micro HDMI cable is not included).
- Software Upgradeable to Android 4.0 (ICS) – Upgrade Not Available Yet.
- Good Build Quality.
- Rugged Design.
- Well placed and convenient-to-use Hard Keys.
- Slightly thicker phone design makes it comfortable to steadily hold the phone, while using it as a Camera.
- Brightness Control Widget in the Function/Feature Notification Bar.
- Dedicated website with Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, Software Update & User Guide Downloads.
- Xolo Care Software on Phone.
- Doubletwist Software for syncing iTunes Music.
Lava XOLO X900 Smartphone – Cons
- The phone is slightly on the thicker side.
- The phone grip is not very comfortable while holding it for a long duration.
- The Touchscreen of the phone is not the most responsive for the price of the phone.
- The Display of the phone is not the best in comparison with other phones in its price range.
- No expandable Memory/ No SD Card Slot for Additional Storage.
- Fixed non-removable Battery. Makes it impossible for the User to remove the phone’s battery for troubleshooting purpose or for replacing the phone’s battery with a spare battery when required.
- Micro SIM Slot. The Micro SIM slot makes it difficult for Users having more than one active SIM to use the same phone, during travel or otherwise.
- Hard to clean Camera Lens and inner side of the Lens Cover of the phone. The phone has to be opened for cleaning its Camera Lens and the inner side of its Lens Cover.
- The Hard Key for Camera is a little less responsive in its time-to-shoot. The onscreen ‘Capture’ button takes pictures faster.
- The size of the Icons for the Camera Settings Menu is Small.
- The phone has Low Volume for media playback. The maximum volume is sufficient only for media playback using Headphones.
- The Quality of Sound of the phone is not the best for the price of the phone.
- Low Volume for ringtones renders ringtones inaudible in noisy areas or from a distance.
- The phone runs on the dated Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) OS.
- Upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is not yet available.
- The supplied USB cable’s length could have been longer for convenient charging and PC connectivity.
- Wireless Connectivity with Dlink Wireless Routers.
- High Price.
The Specifications of the Lava XOLO Smartphone are:
Chipset Intel Atom Processor Z2460
CPU 1.6 GHz Intel® Atom™ with Hyper Threading
Clock speed 400 MHz
Triangles per second 40 million
Display Size 4.03″
Display Colors 16 Million
Display Resolution 1024*600
Display Technology TFT LCD Capacitive Touch with Corning Gorilla Glass
OPERATING SYSTEM Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) upgradable to Android 4.0
Internal Memory 16 GB (Available Memory will be subject to Software Configuration)
RAM 1 GB
Expandable Memory Not Available
Rear Camera 8 MP
Front Camera 1.3 MP
Flash support Yes, Single LED
Auto focus Yes
Touch focus Yes
Digital zoom 8x
HD recording – Rear 1080p
Video chat – Front 480p
Burst Mode 15 fps, 10 images in <1 sec
Camera Modes Auto, Sports, Portrait, Landscape, Night, Night Portrait, Fireworks
SENSORS Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor
USB 2.0 Hi Speed
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
NFC Yes – 13.56 MHz
WLAN support Yes
Modem Intel XMM6260
Dual Speakers Yes, 0.3 W each
Digital Microphones 2
Ambient Noise Cancellation Yes
Voice Recording Yes, 3GPP
Audio Codecs supported MP3, MIDI, WAV, 3GPP
Video Recording/Playback Full HD 1080p @ 30fps
Video Codecs supported MPEG4, 3GPP, WMC, H.264, VP8
Video Player Android Video Player, DoubleTwist
NETWORK FREQUENCY BANDS
Edge/GPRS Class 10
HSPA+ Up to 21 Mbps (DL), Up to 5.7 Mbps (UL)
Battery Capacity 1460 mAh
Browsing (3G) Up to 5 hours
Talk time (3G) Up to 8 hours
Talk time (2G) Up to 14 hours
Music playback (earphones) Up to 45 hours
1080p Video Up to 6 hours
Total Standby time Up to 14 days
Dimensions 123 x 63 x 10.99 mm
Hard Keys Power key, Volume key, Camera key
Slots Micro SIM Card Slot, Micro USB, Micro HDMI, 3.5 mm audio jack
Weight 124 grams
Image Credit and Source: intel.com
You may also like: